James Robertson of internal comms and intranet specialists Step Two has written a short and thought provoking blog article in which he states:
You can’t change corporate culture using social tools... ...never forget that connecting people is about people, not the tools we deploy.
He also gives some good advice:
While there is a clear need and opportunity for social tools, we must:
- set clear, business-focused, objectives for social tools
- recognise where social tools will, and won’t, work
- use tools to support, rather than drive, culture change
- focus on gaining adoption
- be realistic about the cultural impact of social tools
You can’t change corporate culture using social tools - blog post by James Robertson on Column Two
James also shares a presentation he gave recently looking at some success stories.
Internal social tools that support the business - presentation by James Robertson