If you've not encountered at least some of these either you're very lucky or you have your head in the sand.
My quick summary of his 10 points:
- Politics is killing your site
- Course finders suck
- You sell courses
- Stop copying and pasting the prospectus
- Techies driven by tech solutions, users want transparency and honesty, not broadcast marketese
- Techies and marketers rarely work in harmony
- Twitter, Facebook, YouTube are just tools for engagement – not the goal in themselves
- Everybody hates their CMS. Why?
10 harsh truths about institututional websites - presentation by Paul Boag
Harsh truths in articles
And a couple of articles by Paul which were probably the basis for his presentation:
10 harsh truths about corporate websites - article by Paul Boag for Smashing Magazine
10 ways to battle site bureaucracy - article by Paul Boag
If you haven't got time for the presentation, read the first one on corporate websites.
Most of the clients I work with are large organizations: universities, large charities, public sector institutions and large companies. Over the last 7 years, I have noticed certain recurring misconceptions among these organizations. This post aims to dispel these illusions and encourage people to face the harsh reality.